1. Information We Collect
1.1 Information We Collect and Receive. In order for you to use our Site and transact Business, we need to collect and process certain types of information. Depending on your use of our Site and Business, this may include:
- Information you provide to us by completing forms on our website: For example, your name and contact information, or any other information you may provide in the forms on our website;
- Information you provide to us by contacting us: Any personal information you may provide to us when you email or call us, such as name, phone number, employer, and any other details you provide in your communications. SMC Ltd. may also request your contact information for the purposes of having someone contact you for additional information, or in response to your request for information from us;
- Transaction information when you engage in Business with us;
- Customer feedback information you provide us, such as by filling out surveys;
- Information about your activity through our Site, including your device information, such as your IP address, the type of device or browser you use, and your actions on the Site; and
- Information provided for prospective and present employment with us.
1.2 Information from Children. SMC does not knowingly solicit or collect any personal information from anyone under 13 years of age, and children under 13 are not permitted to register for or use our Site or engage in Business. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete it. Legal Guardians can contact us with any questions by sending an email to email@example.com.
2. How We Use Information
SMC Ltd. may use the personal information we collect for the following purposes:
- To deliver our products;
- To provide customer service and our support services;
- To process any financial transactions you or your company makes with us;
- To process applications for employment;
- To keep your information secure such as by monitoring for security irregularities, and to be able to verify your identity and contact information;
- To update you with news and services from SMC Ltd.;
- To ensure our website and services are relevant to you and your interests;
- To help us create and publish content most relevant to you; and
- To contact you in response to your requests such as our Contact form available at https://www.smcltd.com/contact/.
3. How Information May Be Shared
SMC Ltd. will never sell or rent any of your personal information, and we will never share your personal information publicly without your consent. However, we may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or protect our Business. This may include:
- Companies and financial institutions we may partner with to process payments;
- Service providers where we store your data to support delivery of our Business; and
- Third party analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site.
Whenever we share data with third-party services, we require that they use your information only for the purposes we’ve authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do.
Employee and employee family member information is never sold, leased, or rented to any third party. Employee information will never be disclosed to third parties except as follows:
- To those retained by us for processing only for the purposes set forth above;
- Where required pursuant to an applicable law, governmental or judicial order, law or regulation, or to protect our rights or property;
- Where authorized electronically or in writing by the employee; and
- Where the employee voluntarily provides Personal Data and the context makes it clear that such employee information will be provided to a third party (e.g., for payroll, benefits, travel, reimbursement, and other systems used in the employment context).
We also reserve the right to disclose personal information when it is reasonably necessary to conduct our business, protect SMC’s legal rights and property, and to comply with the law or law enforcement.
4. Protection Of Your Personal Information
We take the security of your personal information seriously, and follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and process. SMC Ltd. has therefore put in place commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information that SMC Ltd. collects. Access to personal information will be restricted to our authorized personnel who require the information in order to perform their duties properly. In addition, access will be limited to only that information that is strictly necessary for the performance of those duties.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure, so SMC Ltd. cannot guarantee its absolute security.
5. Data Transfers
6. Basis for Processing – European Union Residents
Data protection law in Europe requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information from residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to transact our Business, and assist with any questions you may have;
- Consent: We may ask your consent to process your personal information in some situations;
- Legal compliance: There may be legal circumstances where we need to collect and use your data; and
- Legitimate interests: This is a term in data protection law that allows us to process your personal information if we have a fair reason to use your data, and only if we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in running our business, including for transacting our Business, fraud prevention, quality assurance, and marketing purposes, as long as our use of your data does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
We will hold your personal information on our systems as necessary to perform the relevant processing activity for that information, or as set out in any relevant contract you hold with us. This is a case by case determination that depends on things like the nature of the data, why it is collected, why it is processed, and any relevant legal or operational retention needs. For example, we may retain your data for as long as you maintain an account with us so that we may process and transact Business with you. We may also be legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations. We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. When the relevant processing activity has been completed, we may destroy your data, or alternatively anonymize the data in such a way that you are not personally identifiable, either directly or indirectly.
9. Personal Information Requests – California and European Union (EU) Residents
Users or Site visitors residing in certain locations, including California and the European Union, may be afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights may include 1) the ability to request access to or a copy of the information we have collected about you; 2) the right to review our data collection practices related to you; 3) the ability to request deletion of your personal information; 4) the right to request correction of any information we hold about you; 5) the right not to be discriminated against due to your exercise of any of the preceding rights; and 6) the right to request portability of your data. In certain circumstances, you may also request restriction of, or objection to the processing we perform about you. While these rights are not globally applicable, our customers are entitled to access the personal information that we hold about them.
You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that we hold about you. Residents of California may designate an authorized agent to exercise certain privacy rights on their behalf, and should make any such request by contacting the above email address. To protect your privacy and security, SMC Ltd. may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to, correcting, or deleting data. We will attempt to respond to your request for information within 30 days. Please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
10. Questions, Comments, or Complaints
Attn: Legal Department
330 SMC Drive
Somerset, WI 54025
SMC Ltd. strives to satisfy our customers’ and visitors’ privacy concerns. However, if you have contacted SMC Ltd. about your issue and are still unhappy with our response, and if you are also a resident of the European Economic Area, subject to applicable law, you may also have the right to object to SMC Ltd.’s use of your personal information, and to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority. More information is available here.
Everyone has the option to deactivate the storage of cookies by configuring their browser so that it does not permit the sending of cookies or notifies you in the event that cookies are sent before they are accepted.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after 26 months.
2. Google Analytics
Our website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies,” which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyse how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
You can find more information about cookies at: www.aboutcookies.org. You can find more information about Google Analytics and how to reject or delete these cookies at: www.google.com/intl/en/privacypolicy.html.
3. Third parties